BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 25, 2009

MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY



Learning is a process through which we adapt to the world around us. It is not the result of something done to us but something we do ourselves. The most crucial step in learning therefore is choosing to make the effort. It follows that although as teachers we cannot make our students learn, we can make it possible and easier for them to do so. Teaching and learning for me are cooperative acts. The teacher not only imparts knowledge but also prepares and motivates students to accept and learn skills for future life. I believe from what I have gained from education that teachers do not transmit only academic information but social and personal life skills as well. It is more than teaching contents but also about teaching habits of thinking and habits of being. I therefore consider training in critical thinking as an important part of preparing students for the personal, occupational and political challenges they would soon come to experience in society.

Students are human, unique and different.They enter the classroom with different experiences, backgrounds, learning capabilities and interests. In a classroom therefore effective learning occurs when the teacher understands the world of students, sees each student as unique and adjusts his/her teaching to meet the interests and expectations of the group.
I also view teaching linguistics as one of the best opportunities to serve society by helping my students to better understand language and its speakers, their fellow human beings, and to enrich their lives through the resulting knowledge and insights. I believe it is essential for successful teaching that I sincerely care for the students and maintain a healthy relationship with them.

I believe that my professional growth is another essential factor for continuous success in my teaching. Thus, I do my best to be at the cutting edge of recent scholarship in order to inspire students with new aspects of inquiry. I also make a great effort to improve my teaching by seeking feedback from students and peers, attending teaching workshops, and studying and experimenting with new methods and approaches. Through these evaluative and enriching processes, I continuously refresh my passion and enthusiasm for teaching and learning and refine my teaching practices, thereby growing both as a teacher and as a scholar.

0 comments: